Saturday, August 4, 2012

16th Anniversary in America!

August 4th 1996, I was entering the great United States of America. I didn't speak a word of English, though I knew all Madonna's songs by heart, and I was coming for two weeks.
Two week on scholarship at the Martha Graham Dance School and them back to the French Riviera.
Fortunately for me, someone at the Graham School offered me a chance to stay. After a few months, I was joining the Martha Graham Dance Ensemble, and another few months later I was performing on the New York City stage, some of the most prestigious pieces of the Graham repertoire.
After 5 years with the company, I created "Saba Dance Theater", performed 5 seasons, won a Time Out New York Bessie Audience Award for best performance in 2004, and got to work with wonderful dancers.
In 2005, after creating "3", my last show so far, I realized I wanted to go back to acting. Luckily, my dear friend Barbara, who needed a place to stay for a few months, ended up introducing me to Bill Hopkins.
Since August 2006, I work with Bill as an actor, every single week of the year. After my decision in 2010 to start writing and directing my own projects, Bill has since been guiding me as a director.
2010, also marks the creation of my film production company, "Cloudy Sky Films". I wrote, produced, directed and star in a webseries, "Sherry's Kitchen", made my first short in 2011, "About A Week", and I'm now working on my first feature "Snow".
As an actor I continue to submit my headshot and resume almost everyday, and am waiting for that big break. But if there is one thing I learned in America, is to make your luck happen.
My friends could tell that I'm a workaholic, and in a way I agree.
16 years in this amazing country and hopefully many, many more to come and wonderful people to meet.
Thanks to all for supporting me.
Saba.

No comments:

Post a Comment