Sunday, August 12, 2012

My trip - Day 3

Today after another great home cooked meal, my friends Joe and Martha took me to a concert in Marlboro (VT). It was the final concert of the 60th Marlboro Music festival and the program was as followed:
Beethoven's Wind Octet in E-Flat Major, Op 103
Bela Bartok's String Quartet Nº 5
Beethoven's Fantasy for Piano, Chorus and Orchestra, Op 80 "Choral Fantasy".
The first piece was beautiful but a little tame for my taste, but extremely well executed. Where my heart was lifted, was in the Bartok's piece. It was funny and passionate, moving, invigorating and even upsetting at times, but that was one piece I couldn't fall asleep to. As a choreographer and dancer, I could see movements over this amazing music.
When I danced in the Martha Graham Dance Ensemble, I performed many times to Bartok's music in "Temptation of the Moon".
The last piece by Beethoven, was what I expected and reminded me a lot of his symphony. The weight of the music created vibrations throughout the theater and I could feel the even rhythm through my feet. The pianist, Mitsuko Uchida, was a the rock star of the concert. Her playing was exquisite and her energy reminded me of Mick Jagger.
The group will tour with various programs on the East coast and I will try to catch them again in NYC or Philly in October. Until then, I'm for sure getting a Bartok CD.
Time for a light dinner and off to bed.
When you find the right music to listen to, it's like finding the g-spot of your ear.
Saba

2 comments:

  1. Indeed!! I love to feel the music! That's why I love going to concerts sooo much,not only do I get to be in the same building as someone I adore..I also get to feel the music all the way to my core!! G spot of the ear is the hallway to the soul!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you're having a good time. Be safe and have fun.

    ReplyDelete